Together We Made A Difference! Wheelock World Service Weekend.
The 2012 Wheelock World Service Weekend − held in April − united students, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of the College in fun and productive service to their communities. The Alumni Relations Office facilitated volunteer activities that not only provided help to those in need but also made a powerful public statement about the College's commitment to improving the lives of children and families.
The Wheelock College Alumni Association Board thanks everyone in the extended Wheelock community, in the U.S. and internationally, for their enthusiastic participation! With your help, we were able to:
- Collect 47 usable pints of blood for the American Red Cross, which could potentially save 141 lives! (Almost 80 Wheelock community members participated.)
- Collect 196 signatures on a petition about discriminatory blood donation policies that will be sent to both the FDA and the Department of Health and Human Services
- Donate more than 170 canned food items to Rosie’s Place
- Walk a total of 36 miles in support of the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (Fourteen Wheelock community members participated in the Walk for Change.)
- Raise more than $3,600 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Massachusetts and Rhode Island at the 16th annual Make-A-Wish Talent Show
- Construct garden beds at the Watertown Community Gardens to grow produce that will be donated to the Watertown Food Pantry
- Run a 5K marathon in support of Jassmine Cobb and the Children's Organ Transplant Association in Ohio
- Collect supplies for classrooms in Jacmel, Haiti
- Collect six bags of trash on the Fellsway in Stoneham, MA
- Collect 20 bags of trash and eight bags of recycling at the Annual Muddy River Cleanup (More than 65 Wheelock and COF community members participated!)
- Read to young children at the Riverview High School Cyesis Teen Parent Program in Sarasota, FL.
For details about leaders, participants, and each project, go to the Alumni tab on Wheelock’s website.